Fair   59.0F  |  Forecast »

The Perfect Winter Wedding

Genevieve Cortese & Jared Padalecki

Bride and groom overjoyed after their snowy ceremony.

Bride and groom overjoyed after their snowy ceremony.

(page 1 of 2)

The fan’s online comment said it all: “genevieve is a beautiful woman and Jared Padalecki is a god!!!”

That bit of blogged adulation is the sort of thing Genevieve Cortese and her husband have grown accustomed to. Last February, when they were ushered into wedded life in a fantasy Sun Valley winter wedding, the beloved young TV stars wondered if some of their more devout fans would crash the party.

Genevieve Cortese grew up in Sun Valley before she headed off to New York City for college and a career on the stage and screen. She starred in the popular ABC series “Wildfire,” before joining the cast of the network’s “Flash Forward.” Jared Padalecki, if not a god, is at least a very tall (six-foot-four-or-more) superstar, who finished high school in San Antonio and immediately became one of those handsome young men who attract hordes of young female viewers to shows like “Gilmore Girls,” where he played a recurring role. Today, he has a starring role as Sam Winchester on the CW’s “Supernatural.”

Cortese got the acting bug early, said her mother Camille Batt, who raised her four children in the Valley. “I had just finished getting all the kids into car seats one morning when Gen, then seven years old, announced, ‘Mom, you know we have to move. We have to move to Hollywood, because I am an ACTOR!’” She was always performing, her mother said.

Her senior year, Cortese decided to go to a boarding school in California with her brother, a decision she immediately regretted. But her mom laid down the law: “I’ve paid—you’re staying,” Batt said.

From there, Cortese enrolled in New York University and was accepted into the famed Tisch School of Arts. Her mom insisted on a double major for her daughter (Cortese chose English and acting). Batt didn’t want to finance the expensive education, “so my daughter could be a waitress.” (She need not have worried.)

The guest book included photos from the couple’s engagement; Table names boasted Genevieve’s favorite Baldy runs; Stickers, matches and late night snacks were just some of the small details that gave this wedding its magical Sun Valley feel.

Padalecki started taking acting lessons at age 12, won some national attention before he even finished high school, then won a recurring role on “Gilmore Girls,” the same year he graduated.

I was doing my best snow dance to the gods. It was clear the entire week and even on the morning of our wedding day, and then—Bam!—right around 4:30 the snow began to fall.
-Genevieve Cortese

When they were planning their wedding, the couple made one big choice: a Sun Valley winter wedding. Most stylish Valley weddings are in the summer, allowing for various mountaintop rituals and barefoot bridesmaids. But a winter wedding is indoors, with snow (hopefully) falling silently outside as candles and crystals refract warm glowing light inside. A winter wedding in Sun Valley is, in a word, classic.

Having worked since they were kids, you can forgive them if they opted to skip the sometimes agonizing process of planning the endless details of their wedding. The couple called on a family friend to do it for them. It was a good choice. Cortese chose the colors—silver, light blue and navy—and event planner Taylor Sturges (Taylor’D Events) took it from there.

>>>

All photos are property of Kirsten Shultz and may not be copied, reproduced or distributed in any manner not pre-approved by the photographer.

Sun Valley Magazine encourages its readers to post thoughtful and respectful comments on all of our online stories. Your comments may be edited for length and language.

Old to new | New to old
Comments, page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4  ··· 6 Next »
Jun 14, 2010 10:15 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

I wish both all the happiness in the world! They look stunning and yes, so in love. It's just beautiful to see.

I wish there would be one place where the Supernatural fandom would show some class, but no. The few crazy ones are giving everybody a bad name and I am ashamed.

Forgive the insane part of the fans, Jared and Gen!
All the best to you!

This has been flagged
Jun 14, 2010 11:15 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

Jared and Genevieve look beautiful and so much in love.

I wish them a long, happy. loving life together as do all true fans who wish them well. The others with their hateful comments are just very sad people. I feel so sorry for those pathetic losers.

This has been flagged
Jun 14, 2010 11:37 am
 Posted by  270583

They are so much in love and happy. I wish to them never lost these feelings:)))

This has been flagged
Jun 14, 2010 12:29 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

When I saw the first pictures of Genevieve that were released to the press as the new actress playing Ruby on Supernatural, I looked at her and the first thing that came to me was 'oh look there's Jared's wife'. I've had similar premonitions about these kinds of things before about people becoming perfectly matched couples. As I look at the love shining out from these wedding photos, now it seems I was right about Jared and Genevieve too.

All the best to the happy and loving couple. May God's light and blessings always be with this union of two people so much in love.

Congratulations Jared and Genevieve Padalecki!

This has been flagged
Jun 14, 2010 12:38 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

Everything about this wedding looked beautiful. It was elegant and yet cosy at the same time. All the photos are beautiful as well.

Love Genevieve's dress and shoes and earrings. Jared in that one solo photo with his dimples in full force looks stunningly handsome.

All the fans who truly love you wish the best in your love and life together.

Congratulations, Jared and Genevieve.

Jun 14, 2010 01:06 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

Congrats to the happy couple!! Beautiful photos. My husband and I Had a more intimate wedding at a small resort in Victoria, BC, Canada. Love the idea!

Charlotte Kinzie

This has been flagged
Jun 14, 2010 01:51 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

I love this couple! Jared and Gen are very nice and down to earth people! I wish them happiness forever and ever!!

Thank you for the pictures, they are very beautiful.

This has been flagged
Jun 14, 2010 02:12 pm
 Posted by  nobodysbaby

How incredibly beautiful this wedding was! Gen's dress was perfect for her, beautiful girl in a beautiful gown!

Sun Valley is beautiful, I would choose a white wedding myself in such an incredibly beautiful part of our world...I happen to love Idaho, the Tetons, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone & all the surrounding area.

My best to this loving & adorable couple for a lifetime together! Thank you for this article & the photos, I cried through them as if I was in personal attendance!

Jun 14, 2010 02:46 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

The picture of Genvieve looking at her father arm-in-arm is really making me cry, it's so beautiful. Congratulations to Jared and Genvieve, may you have long and happy lives together.

This has been flagged
Jun 14, 2010 03:03 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

Beautiful article about a beautiful couple. Congratulations to Jared & Genevieve

This has been flagged
Comments, page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4  ··· 6 Next »
Add your comment:
advertisment

Planning a Sun Valley Wedding

Hitched

Planning a Sun Valley Wedding
Lynn & Jones

Lynn & Jones

Rebecca Lynn, a client care coordinator at A Caring Hand Home Health Care, and Oliver Jones, a wild Land firefighter, tie the knot at Trail Creek Pavilion in Sun Valley, ID.

Comments

Crittenden & Weibel

Crittenden & Weibel

A spectacular visual experience of the Crittenden & Weibel wedding captured through the lens of photographer Thia Konig.

Comments

Praggastis & Reuter Wedding

Praggastis & Reuter Wedding

The looming flames of the Beaver Creek Fire threatened to ruin this wedding for local Lexie Praggastis and her fiance, John. Luckily, they were able to move the 130 or so people who braved the smoke, the tables, chairs, flowers and food to Lexie's family home in Elkhorn. At the end of a stressful day, they had realized that "the day is about celebrating your love and being with family and friends, the rest is just details."

Comments

HorrorScopes

Updated bi-weekly.
Catch your one-of-a-kind, hilarious HorrorScope.