Spring Vegetable Carbonara
|Number of Servings:||Serves 6-8|
|Ingredients:||1 lb. fresh or good-quality dried
8 oz. pancetta, chopped into 1/2" chunks (do not use thin, pre-sliced meat)
1 lb. fresh asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 1" pieces, then blanched
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, minced
Dash of dry white wine
2 T each chopped dill, parsley, basil, and rosemary
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
Olive oil or butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground
|Preparation - Directions:||1. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, brown the pancetta (about 8-10 minutes).
2. To the browned pancetta, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil or butter, or a combination.
3. Add the shallots and garlic, cooking until just softened, stirring so they do not burn. At this point you can turn off the heat and finish the rest of your meal preparation.
4. Boil a large pot of salted water and cook the fettuccine until al dente. While the noodles are cooking, finish the sauce.
5. To the sauté pan, add the blanched asparagus, peas, half the herbs, salt and pepper. Pour on a dash of wine to deglaze any pancetta brown bits in the bottom of the pan. Stir to combine.
6. When the pasta is cooked, drain and place in pan with vegetables, tossing everything together. If it looks dry, add more olive oil.
7. With the heat turned down to medium, crack both eggs into the center of the pan while stirring constantly to make a creamy sauce. While stirring, add 1/2 cup of Parmesan.
8. Taste for seasoning. Stir in the remaining herbs.
9. Platter and top with the last 1/4 cup of Parmesan.