Fettuccine with Morels and Asparagus
|Number of Servings:||Serves 6|
|Ingredients:||1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
2 T. unsalted butter
3/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 lb. fresh morels, brushed clean, but not rinsed. Cut them in half if they are very large.
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 lb. asparagus, cut into 2” lengths.
Toss out the coarsest stem pieces.
1 lb. dry fettuccine
|Preparation - Directions:||1. In a large skillet, sauté the shallots in the butter over low heat until softened.
2. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half.
3. Add the broth and the morels and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the morels are soft.
4. Meanwhile, cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 3 minutes, and then plunge it into a bowl of ice water, to stop it from cooking further. Remove from ice water and set aside to drain and dry.
5. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until done, and drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. I put a measuring cup under the colander when I set it in the sink, so I don’t forget.
6. Add the cream, asparagus, and salt and pepper to taste to the sauce and heat through.
7. Toss with the pasta, adding reserved water as needed to achieve the consistency you like. Serve.