2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 t. salt
1 T. sugar 10 T. butter, frozen, and cut into 1/2” chunks
8 T. vegetable shortening, frozen, and cut into 1/2” chunks
1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water
• In a food processor combine flour, salt, sugar, butter, and shortening and blend just until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, with chunks of butter remaining. This will take about 10 very short pulses. The mixture should not be uniform, as it is the chunks of unprocessed butter that will give the crust its desirable flaky texture.
• Turn mixture into a large bowl and stir in water, a bit at a time, using a rubber spatula. Add enough water so that dough holds together well, but is not sticky.
• Gather dough into a ball, flatten ball into a disk, dust with flour, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
3 pints blueberries, rinsed, drained, and any squished or overripe fruit removed
1 cup sugar
2 t. fresh lemon juice
3 T. quick cooking tapioca
• Mix together blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and tapioca and let stand for 15 minutes.
Finishing 2 T. unsalted butter, cut into small chunks dough
filling • Divide pie dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Return smaller piece to the refrigerator and roll out the larger one. Place in pie dish, pour filling in, top with butter.
• Roll out smaller piece of dough and top the pie. Crimp edges to seal. Cut slits in top crust to let steam out.
• Bake at 400˚ until top crust is golden, about 20 minutes. Then turn heat down to 350˚ and continue to bake until the filling bubbles, about 40 minutes longer.
• Cool completely before eating. If you can.
|Preparation - Directions:|